We look forward to welcoming you to the YSMA, where art provides a transformative experience. A review of our visitor guidelines and regulations below can help orient you before you arrive and ensure you get the most out of your Museum experience. By visiting the Museum, you agree to abide by these policies. Please make sure to plan ahead for your visit.
Entering the Museum Building
All visitors entering the building must pass through a security check. Additionally, some items are not allowed in the galleries and must be checked; other items are not permitted in the building and cannot be checked.
- Large umbrellas and large backpacks must be checked (coat check facilities are available).
- Small backpacks may be brought into the galleries if they are carried on your front or side.
- Luggage and musical instruments are not permitted in the galleries and will not be accepted at the coat check.
- Masks and costumes are not permitted.
- Water in plastic bottles may be brought into the Museum.
- Outside food or drink is not allowed and may not be checked at the coat checks.
- Glass containers are not permitted in the Museum.
- There is no bypassing the security line outside the Museum. The less you bring with you, the faster you can get inside.
- Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, is not allowed in the Museum or near the entrances.
- The Museum operates closed circuit video monitoring for the safety of the art and the public.
- Weapons and hazardous materials are not permitted in the Museum.
- Please note that visitors to The YSMA may be photographed, videotaped, or otherwise recorded. By attending, you grant the Museum permission to use photographs and/or audiovisual recordings in which you appear for archival, documentary, publicity, advertising, or other purposes.
Admission to the Museum
Entrance into the Museum’s exhibition floors requires a ticket.
- All visitors are subject to the Museum’s admission policies for individuals, members, and groups.
- Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Advance reservations are required for all adult and non- PAU student groups of ten or more and for any third-party guided tour, regardless of size.
- Admissions tickets and Membership benefits may not be refunded, resold, exchanged, or transferred.
- Your admission ticket provides access to daily events and tours.
- Select programs and events require the purchase of a ticket or a reservation in addition to, or instead of, an admission ticket.
- The Museum cannot guarantee access to all galleries at all times.
While in the Museum’s Galleries
We want everyone to enjoy their time in the galleries. In order for us to create the best possible environment, we need your cooperation with the following:
- The art is here for you to study, admire, and explore.
- Please do not touch the artwork, frames, bases, or anything used to protect the art.
- Only pencils are allowed for sketching or note-taking in the galleries.
- YSMA staff lecturing in the galleries have priority. Please yield to YSMA-affiliated tours and programs.
- All individuals who lecture in the galleries must have a lecture badge. A lecture badge can only be obtained by making an advance group reservation.
- Unless otherwise indicated, you may take photographs for personal use. The use of flash, video, and selfie sticks is prohibited.
Our galleries are for discovering and sharing new experiences with family or friends. We ask that visitors refrain from disorderly or disruptive conduct that interferes with or distracts from other visitors’ enjoyment of the Museum.
- Conduct that poses any risk to other visitors or to the Museum’s staff or collections is prohibited.
- Running, rough play, and disruptive behavior are prohibited.
- Please keep voices low and be mindful of others. Cellphones should be set on vibrate or silent.
- Please be mindful of keeping doorways and hallways accessible to other visitors.
- The unauthorized playing of music and video, unauthorized theater performances, and sound amplification and noisemakers are prohibited in The YSMA (except for assistive listening devices for visitors with disabilities).
- Charitable solicitations, leafleting, signature gathering, picketing, and press conferences by visitors are prohibited.
Staff and Volunteers at Your Service
The YSMA’s expert team of dedicated staff and volunteers is here to help you. So they can provide you with great service, remember that:
- Verbally abusive, harassing, discriminatory, or threatening statements or behavior toward YSMA staff, volunteers, or other visitors are prohibited.
- The principles of diversity, inclusion, and equal access apply to all aspects of The YSMA’s operations, across all categories of individuals.
- Please follow the instructions of security officers.
The YSMA reserves the right to refuse or revoke the admission of any visitor whose conduct violates these guidelines. If you still have questions, you can reach us on +234 1 712 1728 Ext 10335.